Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Coronavirus impact on the entertainment industry...


Obviously this outbreak has caused crisis globally on so many levels. It has effected everyone's lives in various ways from safety and health concerns to economic issues.

I am going to discuss the issues it has caused specifically to those working in the performance industry. Firstly, every performance needs an audience and currently the public are not allowed to gather in a large group. Many theatres have closed due to this fact already. Additionally, most dancers are self employed meaning if they are unable to work because their contracts are cancelled which means they will not receive money until the pandemic is over (which is an unknown amount of time, potentially months). Another major problem is that many performance contracts are abroad or on sea. With ports and airports on lockdown, people are unable to travel leaving hotels and cruise ships empty.

For me personally, I have been effected in many ways already. I was meant to begin a cruise contract in May which was cancelled. Instead I managed to get a job that began last Sunday in Rhodes working as a dancer touring hotels. However, due to the closure of hotels, I had no choice but to return home after only 24 hours of being in Greece. Luckily I was still able to return home safely as my flights hadn't been cancelled. Currently, I am now in self isolation due to the amount of travel I have undergone in such a sort amount of time. I am also left unemployed until things begin to clear across the world. Luckily for me, I am living with my parents so don't have the pressure of paying rent but I know that is not the case for many individuals.

Looking at the situation on a positive note, I now can put my focus into this degree. Fortunately, doing a distance learning course it allows learning and access to gaining qualifications to still occur.

I wish safety and health to all but mostly to my fellow performers. It's a difficult time so stay safe and positive.

4 comments:

  1. Poor you Scarlett! I am sorry to hear that your cruise contract in May got cancelled. And 24hrs in Greece! That must have been stressful. I get paid weekly when I am touring with my ballet company across the UK, and will not be paid for the supposed duration of the tour (till 31st May). I have no income, apart from the occasional depop sale and violin skype tutoring... difficult time for the self-employed. All we can do it try to stay fit, stay sane and be proactive in any shape or form. Thank god our course is actually online, many uni's are last minute trying to transfer curriculum online and it seems to be a havoc. Anyway, stay safe and speak soon on skype probably!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Serina, thank you for your response. It was a very stressful time, I am just glad to be safely home at this point! Oh dear, what a tricky situation for yourself also! Dare I say it but at least we all have each other to empathise with. At the moment having this degree to focus on is keeping me sane:-) Stay safe and yes we will speak soon.
      Scarlett.

      Delete
  2. Hi Scarlett,
    What a crazy time you've been through. I hope your ok and everything is sorting it's self out as much as it can with everything going on at the moment! I've done a post about some things that can help if your interested.
    https://alysmay.blogspot.com/2020/03/corona-virus-life.html
    Hopefully things will start to get better soon!
    Alys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alys, thank you for your comment. Its a situation with such uncertainty but at least we are all in the same boat. Its great to keep occupied by setting yourself tasks, your post was very informative. Keep positive!
    Scarlett.

    ReplyDelete

Final Presentations

  Having come to the end of this BA course, I found preparing for the presentation was a great way to consolidate my findings and draw toget...