Thursday, October 3, 2019

Re:Generations Scholarship


Yesterday I got a call regarding the scholarship to attend the Re:Generations conference at The Lowry on 7th- 9th November. I was asked about why I was interested in attending this conference and how it would impact my personal practise. Although I have little knowledge about dance within the African Diaspora, I am very interested in exploring different traditions, styles and techniques of training and performing. I feel that having recently joined the professional world, I am still exploring the diversity it has to offer and where I fit into it. I know that I am far from being an African dancer but for me I am interested in comparing the differences and seeing how cultures far from my own adopt the arts. From this there may be ideas I can take and infuse into my own daily practise. In addition to this, I have recently been working with a lot of dancers from South America; Mexico and Columbia and I found it interesting to see how they worked and performed. Technically speaking, the training they have (classical being the core) is very similar to mine but performance-wise I learnt a lot. They taught me a lot in regards to expression of dance and risk-taking which I felt has given me a stronger stage presence. This has encouraged me to explore the diversity the dance world has to offer.

This morning I found out I've been offered the scholarship to attend the conference as a student ambassador. I am very pleased to have been offered this opportunity and thankful for this experience. I will be taking full advantage of this and attending as many discussions, workshops and presentations as possible.

As student ambassador, I have the role of reporting my learning and gathering as much information as I can to share with all of you! I want to ensure that those who aren't able to attend feel as if they have had an insight into the event. I plan to blog everyday I am there and also will arrange to interview as many practitioners as I am able to. If you have any questions or quires you would like me to bring up on behalf of anyone at Middlesex University please comment below and I will do my best to get everything answered. I would like to know what most interests you about this conference and what information you personally would like to gain from reading my blogs.

Thank you to Adesola and Helen for offering me this scholarship.

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic opportunity! Well done and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, what an amazing opportunity congratulations, I would more like to find out about how practitioners think the industry has changed to its current climate and why change is important for creative art forms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your ideas, I will aim to find some answers for you. I think change is important in every industry but development is particularly evident throughout the arts. It will be interesting to hear an industry professional's views on this however.

      Delete

Final Presentations

  Having come to the end of this BA course, I found preparing for the presentation was a great way to consolidate my findings and draw toget...