Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Progress Report


I have found that making myself lists of jobs to do each day has given me a focus, no matter how small they may seem. Today I was able to tick off 'Approved MORE form' as my ethics application was accepted. For the last few weeks, I have been focusing on writing my inquiry proposal alongside filling this form out so I feel that this is an achievement as it has now been submitted.

I have found it helpful to fill out my MORE forms alongside writing my proposal as it has given me guidance as to what is important to mention when writing out the study. Additionally, when changes have been made in the MORE forms, it makes it easier to alter the proposal to match up as it is important to follow the forms when carrying out the study in module three to avoid creating ethical errors.

When looking into the ethical procedures for data collection, I have noticed that the Equality Act in particular plays an important role in my research. Obviously for my study, I will be ensuring that I do not breech any rights or protection laws to enforce equality between all my participants. However, my topic of study questions the enforcement of this law within the performance industry. Although I will be obliging by this law, I want to discover if this is the case for working professionals and if they feel to what extent the law has been broken by. In particular, I am looking at how the roles that females have within performance, being quite traditional, lead to unwanted behaviours from co-workers, directors and teachers.

I have attached a link to a video that explains clearly the definition of discrimination within the Equality Act... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZOf92bIGM4&feature=emb_rel_end.
I think this creates a clear understanding of where the lines are to be drawn in terms of what is and isn't appropriate in the workplace.

Today has been successful in completing the MORE forms, onwards and upwards for the proposal submission. I can now put more focus on the literature review and on improving areas of the study plan.

I would appreciate any comments from those of you who have submitted their MORE forms and how they feel towards respecting the Equality Act.

Thank you for reading, stay safe and happy!


2 comments:

  1. Hey Scarlett, this was a very interesting post. Congratulations on submitting your MORE form - I remember the sense of relief I had when submitting mine. In terms of the Equity Act, I find this so relevant as a woman. I think it's up to 80% of women have faced some sort of harassment in their lives. For us it seems to be an everyday struggle. I think we could spend all day pointing the finger at society, standards set and the way men are raised. I hope this is an issue that will be overcome and that the #metoo movement and others out there start to make an impact on society. I will be very interested to see where your study takes you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathleen, thank you for your comment. A sense of relief for sure! Wow, that is a shocking figure. It appears to be such a big issue so I'm hoping people have a lot to say on the topic, I know I do. Hope you are well, stay safe.

      Delete

Final Presentations

  Having come to the end of this BA course, I found preparing for the presentation was a great way to consolidate my findings and draw toget...