Sunday, April 5, 2020

Skype Call 3rd April- Module Two



Hello all,

We initially started the conversation by all sharing where we were on our individual inquiries. This gave me reassurance as everyone else is still working on their inquiry plan and literature reviews, tweaking and altering them. We all agreed we were unsure on what to put in our critical reflection but because we all had little to say on this Adesola suggested we discuss topics we had more opinions and experience on.

Firstly Alison explained about her mock interview that she had done with her friend. Her conclusion was that no matter whether the interview goes well or not, the information that is given is useful no matter how much was given. Try and find the positives and reflect on the responses. It was interesting to hear Alison's experience with her mock interview, it has inspired me to also carry one out because I could tell that she had learnt so much from doing so.

We discussed the use of video verses audio recording interviews. Recording the conversations can allow us as interviewers to study the body language but also can effect the responses from the participants. Notes could be written down about the body language however, but couldn't be looked back on. A reflective journal was mentioned to help when interviewing as it allows us to note down how we feel throughout the conversations. This can be used in conjunction when analysing the interviews, giving our own personal thoughts on how the responses effect our views in relation to our chosen topics.

The discussion of how we will display and analyse our data was mentioned. It was interesting to hear how people are planning on making it visual, for example using charts and graphs, but for others it being qualitative makes it hard. We also discussed what the data we collect will show. Serina mentioned that the absence of data can be powerful because it can highlight what people aren't too sure on that initially we may have thought would be very topical. Additionally, the idea of collecting our data is to enhance ourselves as professionals in our own personal practise and reflect on where we stand on this topic.

Finally, we discussed how and if we had mentioned the current situation of COVID-19 in our inquiry proposal in terms of how this effects how we carry out data. For some individuals, they have planned on carrying out observations which is probably the most effected form of data collections as interviews can be held via Web 2.0. YouTube is an option, but this is a harder way of looking at the class, not physically being there. For myself personally, it doesn't effect my dad collection method as I am using focus groups and interviews, they will just need to be carried out through the internet.

Overall, it was interesting to hear how everyone is getting on with their data collection and ideas for analysis. We went round and all mentioned why we found the discussion important. For me, the key part of the conversation and that what related to my current position in the module, was the discussion on how everyone is collecting and reflecting on data. I need to decide how I am going to reflect on my own data. The idea of the reflective journal was a highlight for me. This idea would allow myself to make notes and note down our own feelings that I can look back on. I will look into this...

An important point that was mentioned also was how important it is to notice the absence of data, this highlights what our participants know and don't know and what opinions they have on what topics. Adesola stated a key idea, 'absences as data not absence of data'.

Thank you for reading my blog post, I hope it is useful for those who did not attend the session.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Scarlett, how are. you getting on with the critical reflection essay? I have finished a draft with the right word count but took me ages... procrastinated and in general found it difficult. I found that Skype useful too, and attended a Module 3 focus Skype the other day. Check out the post I wrote on it:

    https://serinafaull.blogspot.com/2020/04/skype-with-helen-module-3-focus.html

    ReplyDelete

Final Presentations

  Having come to the end of this BA course, I found preparing for the presentation was a great way to consolidate my findings and draw toget...