Monday, May 4, 2020

Module Two Reflection


Module two completed. Being in lockdown has meant that this has been my main focus for the past few weeks. Although I am glad I have submitted my work, it was giving me focus and distraction from the current reality. I hope everyone is staying strong and positive. I have attached a thought that I had when reflecting on my module two topic of feminism...


As my topic bases on the ideas of feminism, I have actually just began questioning whether or not I can class myself as a feminist? The gender roles in dance are so cut-dry, you either perform as the male or the female in many cases (obviously there are exceptions where the gender of the dancer does not matter). Throughout my training and in my daily practise, I have upheld training as a female dancer, doing pointe, and dancing as the female role. I have always applied for jobs as a 'female dancer' with there only being the two options. So this has made me question why have I conformed to such non-inclusive roles throughout my career. The fact that I class myself as a female is irrelevant to the fact that in general dance does not give individuals the option to decide how they want to identify. Dance is based on your physicality therefore if a male wanted to identify as a female or somewhere in-between, it would not be accepted purely for the aesthetics of traditional dance.


It would be interesting to hear anyone's opinions to this reflection I had.

2 comments:

  1. That’s interesting! My Module 2 research title is along a similar vein but about female/non binary representation in the theatre world! We should definitely connect/chat on the same Skype soon as I reckon it may help us with our next module 👌

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Laura. Yes that is a brilliant idea. Would be great to share our thoughts on the topic and compare our ideas. I look forward to speaking with you. x

    ReplyDelete

Final Presentations

  Having come to the end of this BA course, I found preparing for the presentation was a great way to consolidate my findings and draw toget...