Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Module three Skype call - 17th November

 

In this evenings Skype call we looked at the notion of analysis in relation to our inquiries. This includes looking at reflection in relation to our information that we have gathered through our data collection and through literature. 


We discussed our struggles with grouping the data and finding key themes. It was evident that we all had managed to find lots of themes relating to our topic and collected data but selecting the few to talk about in our essay was the challenge. I personally have found that choosing themes that I have personal experiences of have been easier to explore. This way, it has also been more beneficial for me to analyse as I can relate my findings to my own personal daily practise. It was interesting that some of my peers found that they had 3 or 4 clear themes whereas others (myself included) have found lots of emerging themes. This suggests that everyone has different findings and sees data in an individual way. 

We then discussed relationships in terms of our findings. Helen suggested that instead of comparing things, sometimes it is better to look at the way things link and how they are similar. It is key to also link both literature and ethical considerations to our analysis of data to see how they connect. We agreed that relating to our own experiences is the most important even when discussing the relationships between two other aspects. 

Themes that have been found are often very large for many of us and finding the key points within a theme can be difficult to pull out and include only the most relevant information. A lot of us are passionate about our topics and want to include everything so cutting it down can be challenging. Personally, I have also found that it is better to just focus on a few topics and go in-depth into those rather than looking at lots of little themes and trying to talk about them all. 

Helen answered a question regarding the format of writing - she stated that the essay should be written in 1st person. The essay is about our personal practise so should be written from our point of view. We must just be aware that not every sentence beings with 'I'. 

It was also stated that we must ensure that the analysis looks at the data and then is reflected upon within the analysis section as opposed to just relaying the gathered data. 


Questions that are taken from our reflection as we carry out our inquiry are a starting point. This BAPP can lead us to explore further wether that is through further study or just development within our own personal practise. 

If anyone has any questions regarding this Skype call or anything I have written, please comment below.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Scarlett,
    I'm currently on module 2 and so its really interesting to read your post about module 3 and the analysis. I have been trying to plan how I am going to analyse my data so this has been helpful to read through! Thank you
    Alys :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alys,
    It's great to think ahead and plan. I hope your inquiry plan is going well. Feel free to message me if you have any questions and I can try my best to guide you.
    Thank you, Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete

Final Presentations

  Having come to the end of this BA course, I found preparing for the presentation was a great way to consolidate my findings and draw toget...